· 2 cups dried black eyed peas
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· ½ teaspoon pepper
· ¾ teaspoon salt
· 1 pound ham steak, but into ½ inch cubes or 1 ham hock
· 4 jalapeno peppers (optional)
The day before:
Put the dried black eyed peas in a pot and cover with filtered water and ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar. Beans will expand, so add plenty of water. Leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours. The apple cider vinegar will neutralize the phytic acid, an anti-nutrient, found in beans and make them more easily digestible.
The day of:
· Drain, rinse, and place the beans in a large pot (or instapot!) and cover with 4 cups of water. Add the rest of the ingredients to the peas.
· Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour or until peas are tender. If you’re using an instapot, use the “meat/stew” setting.
· Cornbread or our yummy grain-free cornbread!