Greetings HealthWorks Family! Wow, how the world has changed in a weeks’ time!
We’re sure you have concerns about all the media attention the coronavirus, known as COVID-19. First, I want you to rest assured that we, at HealthWorks, are staying on top of all the latest information to help you stay healthy.
All reports from the CDC and the WHO still stay that the risk is low to even get the infection at all, but those that have underlying health conditions like autoimmune disorders, diabetes, heart disease and those that smoke are more susceptible and prone to be the 2% of that group to get the worst symptoms and/or succumb. The elderly, those over the age of 70, can also be more susceptible simply due to decreased immune function with age, however, from the most current statistics, just being in your golden years doesn’t automatically mean that you will succumb to this virus, it seems that those with underlying health conditions are those in this age group that are perishing.
As of this writing, there are 1875 confirmed cases in the United States (out of a population of 327M) and 41 confirmed deaths (24 deaths are from one nursing home in Washington). In the state of Texas, we have 46 confirmed cases (out of a population of 29M) and zero deaths. Numbers will obviously continue to rise as testing becomes more available.
Keep up with the latest, real-time stats (and interactive map) with this link: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
Here’s what HealthWorks is doing:
- We will actively diffuse Thieves’ oil throughout our office to mitigate airborne spread. This special combination of oils has clinically been shown to be effective against viruses, bacteria, and fungus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5206475/pdf/ECAM2016-3012462.pdf
- We will add Thieves’ oil to our current antimicrobial spray for enhanced protection.
- We will have the antimicrobial spray available to each patient to personally wipe down the facepiece of the adjusting table before each adjustment if they so choose.
Here’s what you can do:
- Observe the recommendations made by the CDC or our local government in regards to hand washing, keeping your distance,
- Don’t smoke, especially if you are over 60. This particular virus has an affinity to those that smoke making their symptoms much worse. In China, 74% of males smoke, but of those that died, they were over the age of 60.
- Eat nutritious food. Your body needs the building blocks to help fight infections and heal. If you eat highly processed “food”, you are severely decreasing your body’s ability to help fend off the millions of invaders we come in contact with every day! For more information on nutritional guidelines, check out this post from our doctors: https://www.healthworkstx.com/post/healthworks-guide-to-healthy-eating
- Stay hydrated. Drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water daily, not to exceed a gallon.
- Turn off the TV! Media spreads fear and uncertainty—it’s apparently their job these days. Have you ever heard the saying, “If it bleeds, it leads”? That is more true these days than ever. If you find yourself overly stressed, panicked and anxious about what is happening, then taking a mainstream media break is highly recommended. Stress severely decreasing your immune function making you more susceptible to any pathogen circulating. Do yourself a favor—you have control! Provided in this email are links to give you updated information in which you can choose to consume to stay up to date and not in the dark.
- Check out these logical and science-based articles by Dr. Centeno:
(A quick note about the doctor that wrote the above articles: Dr. Taylor knows Dr. Centeno personally. He was an integral part of her Board Certification in Craniocervical Junction Procedures over the past 3 years. He is truly a brilliant man and scientist.)
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom. Hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol is recommended should soap and water not be available.
From all of the current statistics, there is no reason to panic. Take precautions but live your life. We should all be practicing the above lifestyle choices whether we are facing a pandemic or not. Perhaps if we were, we would be healthier as a society today. Why not use this opportunity to be the change and make these changes in your life today!
HealthWorks: A Family Wellness Center is a chiropractic and wellness center located in Plano, Texas. Our chiropractors, Dr. Christy Flick and Dr. Jennifer Taylor, have been helping patients function better since starting private practice in 2005. For information about this article or other chiropractic questions, please contact our office at 972-612-1800.